Sunday, January 14, 2007

What Makes A Bitch Salty?

I thought it might be helpful at this point to define some terms for the uninitiated.

Salty Bitch

Bitch is often used in a derogatory sense. I would like to change that. A few years ago I played the part of Queen Margaret in Shakespeare’s Henry VI, Parts 1, 2 and 3. Margaret is an incredibly powerful and controversial historical figure brought vividly to life in Shakespeare’s text. Margaret of Anjou, proud French wife to England’s King Henry VI, is forced to hold her own alone in a foreign land populated by bloodthirsty men to whom her presence is unwelcome to say the least. When her husband doesn’t prove to be the king he should be and the country is plunged into a bloody civil war thanks to the treasonous usurper Richard, Duke of York, Margaret bears King Henry’s standard and rallies his armies in his defense. Partway through the rehearsal process, I privately started to call Margaret a Salty Bitch. The term, for me, meant a strong, determined person who is taking control of their destiny and making things happen. At some point, I used the term publicly in front of a few friends and it grew in popularity. After a little while, a small group of us were referring to ourselves as the Salty Bitches. It became the name of my now infamous AIDS Walk team, and is becoming my very own trademark term. This blog is dedicated to Salty Bitches everywhere.

La Vie Boheme

I use this term to describe the kind of life that seems to make me the happiest. I see it around me in the people I respect, a life replete with joy, humor and satisfying artistic pursuits. It can also be described as the artist’s life. It is the power of living fully. I strive always to attain this, and this blog will let you in on some of the experiences I have while trying to walk that path.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

F OFF, ya French Whore. Dick P.S.: Treasonous?!! Give me a break.

CatmanDrew@mac.com said...

I'll take my salty b on a ritz cracker, pleez